Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Our little man has arrived! 12/25/13


Our baby boy has arrived and this is his birth story.

On Tuesday December 24th, 2013 at 39 weeks and 3 days I thought my water broke so we headed up to the hospital, 3 hours later they told me it had not and sent us home. On the way home I started having contractions… was around 4:30pm. We came home, ate some dinner and I sat around timing the contractions- they were uncomfortable but not horrible pain. I was updating my friend who is an R.N and letting her know how far they were apart, when they got around 3 minutes apart for an hour she suggested we go in – good call. I was kind of embarrassed to go back up there since we had been sent home about 4 hours earlier. Austin was supportive of whatever decision I wanted, so he took me.
 
 
We checked in at 9:30pm and I was already 4cm dilated – compared to the day before at my visit, 2cm. They said we were being checked in and there to stay. I was really excited to stay but  knew it’d be awhile before anything started since the first baby usually takes several hours. Through the night my contractions started getting more painful, there was a machine next to me that was measuring my contractions – I have no idea how it works but I know around 38-40 I was hurting, gripping Austin’s hand or the bed rail hurting. I started to get nervous because I knew they were only going to get worse.

Around 4am – the nurse came in to check on me and these cramps had me almost crying a few times and throwing up a few times, while Austin reminded me to breathe. He asked the nurse when I could have some sort of pain medicine, she says “Oh whenever she wants it”… What? I would’ve asked for this stuff HOURS ago had I known. Note to all of you, ask for it ASAP don’t wait for it to be offered. Fifteen to thirty minutes later my new best friend showed up with an epidural in hand. The difference was night and day, in minutes I felt better. Austin continued watching the chart next to me and apparently it got up to 80 a few times, thank the Lord I couldn’t feel those. We finally got some sleep and just waited. By morning I was 5cm and around 12 noon- 8cm. My mom, dad, mother in law and her husband all stopped by to say “hi”.

Mom and Dad went to get some late lunch in the cafeteria when the nurse said it was time to start pushing at 3pm after being on Pitocin for about 30 minutes. I remember someone knocking on the door at one point, they asked who it was and I heard “Mom”, Austin says “We’re starting to push” and I can only imagine what my mom was thinking- how exciting! 

I had on oxygen so pushing was a little awkward, trying to inhale with a mask on your face just feels weird. Plus, it made me feel Closter phobic.  After around an hour of pushing and forgetting to hit the epidural button some feeling began coming back and next thing you know they’re saying “One more push for his body!”.  I can not describe the feeling, our sweet boy was here. They allowed us to do delayed cord clamping and then Austin got to cut his cord.

 
They took him to the corner to clean him off and Austin went over to start taking pictures while the doctor finished up with me.

They put Jackson Thomas on the scale and he weighed 8lbs 11oz – I could not believe I just delivered an over 8lb baby, I felt so proud of myself for a moment (ha). He measured in at 21” long and was born at 4:17pm on Christmas Day, December 25, 2013 in the Great state of Texas.

Once they got me cleaned us cleaned up our parents came in, snapped a few pictures and headed out. They gave Jackson to me to nurse and he latched immediately and drank for 30 mins each side.
 


 

 

 
Praise the Lord.
I could not believe how everything had happened, God was so merciful. From labor, delivery to nursing I couldn’t have been happier. You hear horror birth stories but mine was far from it. I’d do it all again in a heartbeat, with the epidural earlier and remember to push the button while pushing.


We stayed at the hospital until the 27th, Jackson’s bilirubin was a touch higher than they wanted so he had to stay under the light in our room before we could go home – all night.

Our poor baby, the googles were huge and he had to only be in a diaper, not swaddled needless to say no one really got good sleep that night but it worked and we left the next morning!

It felt so perfect coming home with our baby, our house felt complete. He’s been such a perfect baby, we are so in love. I love the way Austin looks at him, I love to see the two of them together, I love feeding him and holding him, we love to just look at this amazing miracle God has blessed us with. He’s pure joy!!
 

 

2 comments:

  1. I asked for my Epi right away and you are right it is NIGHT & DAY...I also had the oxygen mask on the entire time and it was VERY Awkward trying to push with that thing on! I never had to push my button I was pretty numb the entire time. I was scared to push it and then not feel anything and not know how to push.

    I am so happy for you two... Children are such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you didn't have any complications with the epi. I had it in too long and I got an infection. Jackson looks like a doll!! So handsome!! Also congrats on having an easy nursing experience, that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com